Lifestyle Changes Extend Lifespan: Add 24 Years to Your Life
A recent study suggests that making eight simple lifestyle changes could extend your lifespan by up to 24 years. The study, conducted by health science specialist Xuan-Mai Nguyen, found that adopting these practices could lead to an 87% relative reduction in all-cause mortality. This significant finding shows how lifestyle changes extend lifespan and improve overall health.
The Impact of Lifestyle Changes on Lifespan
The study found that even small changes made in your 40s, 50s, or 60s can be beneficial. The changes extend lifespan by affecting various factors like race, gender, body mass, ethnicity, socio-economic status, and health history.
Even one lifestyle change can add 4 1/2 years to a man’s life and 3 1/2 to a woman’s life. This further emphasizes how lifestyle changes extend lifespan.
The Eight Lifestyle Changes Extend Lifespan
The study suggests the following eight practices to extend your lifespan:
- Exercise regularly: Engaging in moderate or intense workouts can positively impact your health and extend your lifespan. Regular exercise is one of the key lifestyle changes that extend lifes.
- Avoid opioids: Not becoming addicted to opioids can reduce the risk of early death by 38%. This is a crucial lifestyle change that can extend life and improve overall health.
- Avoid tobacco: Never using tobacco can lower mortality risk by 29%. This change can significantly extend lifespan.
- Manage stress effectively: Finding an outlet to release daily stressors can help manage stress, reducing the likelihood of death by 22%. Effective stress management is a change that can extend lifespan.
- Incorporate plant-based options into your diet: Following a healthy plant-based diet can increase your life expectancy by 21%. This change can extend lifespan and promote better health.
- Balance your drinking: Drinking in moderation can reduce early death risks by 19%. This is another lifestyle change that can extend lifespan.
- Get enough sleep: Getting at least seven to nine hours of sleep can reduce the risks of early death by 18%. Adequate sleep is a change that can extend lifespan.
- Cultivate community: Having strong social bonds can enhance life expectancy by 5%. This lifestyle change can extend life by promoting positive social interactions.
While the lifestyle changes extend lifespan, it’s important to remember that every little bit helps. Whether you choose to be more physically active or ensure you’re surrounded by positive social support, these changes can make a significant difference in your life expectancy.
The study’s findings underscore the importance of how changes extend lifespan, and adopting these practices can lead to a healthier, longer life.